Find out why Jamie believes butyl is best…
Do you use Sikaflex or 3M 5200 adhesives for sealing fittings around your sailboat deck? In yesterday’s blog and video Jamie talked about butyl tape as a sealant for deck fittings, in this extra he shows you how it is applied and talks about some of the advantages of using it.
Everything we do is FREE! Feel like spreading a little love? Join our crew and become a Followtheboat Mate for less than the price of a coffee! ☕
- Easy to use
- Little wastage
- Stores well and lasts for years
- More environmentally friendly than adhesive sealants
- Can be difficult to source (not in many chandleries)
- Not as adhesive as modern adhesive sealants
- Continues to extrude and may require extra scraping
CLICK THIS IMAGE TO WATCH THE SHORT VIDEO:
Have you used this method for bedding and sealing your fittings? What was your experience? If you have an alternative method, or if you disagree with Jamie please let us know in the comments.
Peace and fair winds, friends!
Becoming a Followtheboat Mate doesn’t float your boat? You can still help us! Please SHARE this post to spread the word…
Share this Post