The Deck

The initial survey report had indicated that a few of the deck planks required replacing and recaulking, whilst we were aware that some of the stanchion bases had come loose. Indeed two of the stanchion bases were leaking slightly, so we got eleven of the twelve bases replaced, and replaced two of the planks. Of course any boat yard will try and convince you to lay a new teak deck, but there is little point in doing this until the old one really is shot to pieces. Oh, and at €10,000+ this isn’t really an option!


Replaced deck planks (centre)
Replaced deck planks (centre)
Old (left) and new (right) cockpit floor
Old (left) and new (right) cockpit floor


The cockpit floor was rotten from trapped water, however, so we got a new one made up. Also rotten were the bases of the lids for the rear boxes mounted at the back of the deck, so new marine ply was added to these to strengthen them. These boxes double up as seating so strengthening them was important.


launch-deckbootAnother major problem we had was leaking masts. Both of them had been letting in water so we needed to replace the mast boot covers, which were fitted and then caulked. It may seem odd caulking a bit of canvas to the mast but it’s a great solution that should only need doing once a season, and it’s a very simple job.



A loose grab rail was epoxyed back in place. It won’t be moving again until the entire teak deck is replaced!


This ain't budging an inch!
This ain't budging an inch!



If you like our content and would like to support us, we will give you ad-free access to our videos before they go live to the public, discounts in our shop, access to Jamie’s iconic full-res photographs, and supporter-only blog posts. Click our ugly mugs for more info!

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top