New for our app subscribers! This section pulls some of the best articles on practical sailing around the web and presents them in one easy-to-read page. Article links will take you to the source's website. Alternatively use the menu above to see what's new on FTB.
- Video Chats with Steve Colgateby Herb McCormick on April 8, 2020 at 7:57 pm
Check out video chats with Offshore Sailing School's Steve Colgate where he will share sailing stories from his long career.
- Keep Calm and Carry On Cursingby Darrell Nicholson on April 8, 2020 at 3:25 pm
I know plenty of sailors who wouldnt hesitate to curse a J24. I should mention that these are mostly racing sailors, and they do a lot of cursing. The post Keep Calm and Carry On Cursing appeared first on Practical Sailor.
- How to avoid collisions in fogby Katy Stickland on April 8, 2020 at 9:31 am
Not many of us would happily set sail in fog but sometimes it is unavoidable, and knowing how to avoid collisions is crucial, says Andy du PortFog, even if it is localised, changes which navigation rules you follow. Would you know what to do?Not many of us would happily set sail in fog but sometimes it is unavoidable, and knowing how to avoid collisions is crucial, says Andy du Port The post How to avoid collisions in fog appeared first on Yachting Monthly.
- Five Questions for Franck Bauguil, VP of Yacht Ownership and Product Development for The Moorings, Sunsail and Leopard Catamaransby Herb McCormick on April 7, 2020 at 8:29 pm
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to unfold, we’re taking the time to catch up with contributors and friends in the marine industry. For this installment, we’re chatting with Franck Bauguil, VP of Yacht Ownership and Product Development for The Moorings, Sunsail and Leopard Catamarans.
- The Wonder of an Offshore Sailby John Kretschmer on April 7, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Longtime voyager John Kretschmer reflects on the joy and solitude of offshore sailing on a passage from Grenada to the US Virgin Islands during the coronavirus pandemic, April 2020.
- Tartan Yachts has a New Ownerby The Editors on April 6, 2020 at 6:57 pm
Seattle Yachts International acquires Tartan Legacy Yachts.
- Off Watch: Bye-Bye Boatby Herb McCormick on April 6, 2020 at 6:10 pm
Herb McCormick ponders giving up his little Pearson sailboat to someone who had the drive to fix her up and take her sailing.
- Off Watch: Ashes to Seaby Herb McCormick on April 6, 2020 at 5:57 pm
Herb McCormick says good-bye to his old friend, photographer Bobby Grieser, in the most fitting way he can.
- AIS vs radar: Do you really need both?by Katy Stickland on April 6, 2020 at 11:07 am
AIS and chartplotters have come a long way in the last decade, but are they enough to replace radar? Jonty Pearce examines the latest technologyRadar is more expensive than AIS, but you may wish you'd taken the plunge when the visibility closes in amid busy watersAIS and chartplotters have come a long way in the last decade, but are they enough to replace radar? Jonty Pearce examines the latest technology The post AIS vs radar: Do you really need both? appeared first on Yachting Monthly.
- A Navigation Station Makeoverby Andrew Burton on April 3, 2020 at 7:06 pm
A seasoned skipper updates his cruising boat's navigation station with modern electronics and a simple, clean design.
- March 2020 Chartering Updateby Elaine Lembo on April 3, 2020 at 7:05 pm
An update on sailing-vacation opportunities.
- Off Watch: A Disappearing Town Along the Northwest Passageby Herb McCormick on April 3, 2020 at 7:05 pm
The crew of Ocean Watch stops at Shishmaref, an Arctic town that is bearing the brunt of climate change.
- Five Questions for Lin Pardeyby Herb McCormick on April 3, 2020 at 5:58 pm
A Q&A with author and circumnavigator Lin Pardey.
- Sailors Honored at 2019 Cruising Club of America Eventby John Burnham on April 3, 2020 at 5:30 pm
French, Irish, and American sailors received Cruising Club of America honors during the gala awards presentation on March 6, 2020.
- Cruising Club of America Announces 2019 Award Winnersby John Burnham on April 3, 2020 at 5:29 pm
The Cruising Club of America’s 2019 awards will be presented to Soudée, McGuckin, and several CCA members in New York, March 6th.
- Top 5 Sailing Books You Haven’t Read (Yet)by Herb McCormick on April 3, 2020 at 2:56 pm
CW's picks for the Top 5 sailing books you haven't read yet.
- Dates Announced for the 50th Annual Newport International Boat Showby Newport Exhibition Group on April 2, 2020 at 9:15 pm
The 50th Anniversary of the Newport International Boat Show will take place September 17-20, 2020 in Newport, Rhode Island.
- Sailing Home During a Pandemicby Jen Brett on April 2, 2020 at 6:49 pm
CW compiled a running list of up-to-date resources for information for cruising sailors who are traveling home during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Boat Review: Beneteau First Yacht 53by Mark Pillsbury on April 1, 2020 at 9:39 pm
Cruising World reviews the new Beneteau First Yacht 53.
- Going for Gold in the BVIby Mark Pillsbury on April 1, 2020 at 9:37 pm
To celebrate its 50th year in business, The Moorings invited family and friends to its home in the British Virgin Islands for a weeklong party under sail.