With the addition of stereo, new VHF and various switches and monitors the left and lower dashs in the nav table area had to be redesigned. We decided to take out some of the old electronic equipment, either because they weren’t working or because they were dated and would one day be replaced with new kit. This included the new Icom DSC VHF, which we had rewired to allow us audio control from the cockpit.
The carpenter made a new cabinet to contain the car stereo and its various plug-in components, as well as a dash to contain the switches that would control the speakers.
The lower dash now had less components installed into it so we have left generous space for additional kit to be installed in the future. This could include SSB radio or a more modern radar – as yet we are undecided on what we need.
We also took out the fuel and water gauges as they weren’t working. This now means we have to pull up the bedding and seating to gain access to the container windows to see how much fuel and water we have left! At some point in the near future we will be installing gauges for these and adding them to the dash. Plenty of space has been left to accommodate these.